Monday, August 5, 2013

Another beach day.

Hit Furry Creek again today and fished the high tide that was heading out. I began the day with my spinning rod as there was a bit of a breeze and I was feeling lazy. Second cast... fish on. A scrappy battle and the pink salmon on the end comes to hand. I pop out the hook and he is on his way back into the ocean. The early hookup was a sign of things to come. It wasn't long before I was into fish number 2, 3 and 4.

As exciting as it was to be hooking pinks on my spinning rod I kept looking at my fly rod, wanting to change up. But as the saying goes.. "if its not broken, why fix it"... well I ignored the saying and "fixed" it. I grabbed my fly rod, stripped some line off the reel and sent my fly out into the unkown. First cast... nothing..  second cast... fish on! Smart move on my end! I hooked fish after fish on the fly. Pretty soon my arm was getting tired and eventually the fishing died a bit. I switched back to the gear rod and was back into fish again.

As the morning progressed the bite died. No one was catching much from shore. A few of the boats were pulling in the odd fish but I couldn't entice any. Then, out of the blue I get a bite... a different bite.... my rod tip slams down and my reel screams... suddenly a big (I'm guessing around 25lb) spring thrashes at the surface!! My poor little rod doubled over as it peeled the 10lb test off my reel... there wasn't much I could do and before I could stop the freight train the hook popped out.. :(

All in all it was a fantastic day on the water. The sun was shining and the fish were biting. What more can you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment