Sunday, September 29, 2013

Here come the chum!

It has been a windy and very rainy weekend but I managed to get out fishing today. The Vedder was blown out today, high and muddy, so I decided to check out the Stave River. When I arrived there were already some people fishing and right away I saw a few fish surface.
The rain fell continuously but it was not going to stop me from having a good day. I was using my center pin again today and at first I was drifting roe in some slack water hoping for an early coho. Unfortunately the only thing it produced was a coloured up pink salmon. After flinging roe for about an hour I decided to change up to drifting one of my go to stave river jigs under a float. That was the ticket! I proceeded to hook into a handful more pinks and 3 chum over the next hour or so until some knobs decided the small barely accessible pocket I was fishing had their name on it. The two guys moved in 10ft up stream of me on a river that had plenty of space and proceeded to bottom bounce their 10ft leaders with pink wool through where I was fishing. Sigh... why people bottom bounce for a fish that readily and whole heartedly attacks offerings sportingly drifted beneath a float is beyond me. After a couple times of them snagging my line I reeled in and left. On my way out I politely thanked them for joining me and leaving so much room because I know how there was such a lack of good water to snag fish in... I don't think they got the sarcasm and i didnt have the energy to educate them in the ethics of fishing.
Anyway, I didn't let it ruin my day. It was a great day out, despite the rain. I think next week I will go back and take my spey rod out for its debut. We will see how long it takes me to learn to spey fish....

No comments:

Post a Comment